I love fall and everything about it. And since it is almost Halloween I am sure you are enjoying carving pumpkin and drinking pumpkin spice tea. Well, keep being creative with your pumpkin meals because pumpkin has many health benefits. Rich in vitamins, minerals, and antioxidants, both the orange flesh as well as the seeds provide many disease-fighting nutrients to be enjoyed year round.
Pumpkin is low in fat and calories and rich in healthy nutrients such as:
• Vitamin C: Helps boost yours immune system
• Vitamin E: Helps promote healthy skin
• Iron: found in the seeds, helps with red blood cell growth
• Zinc: found in the seeds, helps with boosting the immune system and bone health
• Alpha-carotene: Rich in antioxidants, helps support the absorption of vitamin A, slows the aging process, prevents tumor growth
• Beta-carotene: Like alpha-carotene, it is also rich in antioxidants. It is anti-inflammatory and helps repair skin damage from the sun, and boosts the immune system
• Lutein and Zeaxanthin- reduces free radicals in the eyes which reduces the risk of developing cataracts
• Potassium: Helps build strong bones, balance fluid levels, is used in energy production, and helps lower blood pressure
• Magnesium: Helps with muscle fatigue, bone strength, and builds a healthy immune system
• Pantothenic acid: Helps with stress management
• Fiber: Helps with weight loss, digestion, reduce cholesterol, and reduces the risk of heart disease.
• Omega fatty acids 3 and 6: found in the seeds, supports brain health, reduces cancer risks, supports a healthy heart, and is anti-inflammatory
Please feel free to reply with your favorite pumpkin recipes!