Spring is quickly approaching. For some, it’s time for longer, warmer days and fresh flowers. For others, it’s brings on sinus headaches, runny nose and itchy eyes!
Acupuncture offers tools for both preventing spring allergy symptoms and getting rid of them. It is best to come before your allergies really kick in but we can still help if you are already suffering with allergy symptoms.
What is Acupuncture?
Acupuncture is an ancient art of therapy that originated in China 5,000 years ago where a doctor places fine, sterile needles at specific acupoints in the body to enhance recuperative power, immunity and physical and emotional health. It also can improve overall function and well-being. It is a safe, painless, and effective way to support a wide variety of medical problems.
How does it work?
Acupuncture can work in three main ways.
- Circling the dragon– by circling the area of injury, your body sends chemicals to the area similar to how blood rushes to your head if you bump your head
- Protocol– Different acupoints have been researched to fix certain problems. By stimulating those points, the body sends off a natural reaction to focus on those symptoms involved.
- Balancing the Qi– There are 12 meridians on either side of the body. A blockage can affect the natural flow of energy throughout the body causing symptoms that are often unexplained medically.
What is an allergy?
Allergies are an overreaction of the immune system to substances in our environment. Itchy, watery eyes, sneezing, coughing, congestion, wheezing, and hives are common allergic responses.
What can acupuncture do?
- The goal of using acupuncture to treat allergies is to provide relief for the immediate symptoms, while also helping support your immune system.
- Antihistamines such as Benadryl, Zyrtec and Claritin temporarily block the immune system reaction which helps with symptoms but it is a temporary fix.
- Acupuncture treatments can reduce the severity and frequency of sensitivity to the allergen.
Each Acupuncture session is tailored to fit your specific symptoms and goals.
- Boost your immune system and lessen your sensitivity to allergens
- Reduce the severity of your allergy symptoms
- Help to balance your body to work at its optimal level
Check out these articles that back acupuncture for allergies: