Infertility is a term that is used to describe a women in childbearing age who has not become pregnant after a year of trying to conceive, or a man who after a year of trying, has not been able to impregnate a woman. The term can also be used for a woman that is able to become pregnant but unable to carry the baby to full term.
Some common causes of women infertility include:
- Uterine fibroids
- Blocked fallopian tubes
- Certain genetic conditions
- Uterine wall problems
- Absence of ovulation
- Irregular periods
- Certain lifestyle factors such as diet, smoking, age or stress.
Possible causes of male infertility
- Erectile dysfunction
- Exposure to testes to high temperature
- Low sperm production
- Hormonal stress
- Lifestyle factors
The traditional treatments for infertility
- Medications to stimulate egg production
- Insemination for men increase the chances of fertilization,
- Hormone injections and in vitro fertilization.
These are all great options and acupuncture can help support the process and increase the chances of conceiving.
What is acupuncture and how does it work?
- Acupuncture consists of the gentle insertion and stimulation of thin, disposable sterile needles at strategic points near the surface of the body
- Acupuncture shifts the body to repair mode so that it can better heal itself
- Most experts believe that acupuncture improves fertility by helping blood flow to the uterus and ovaries and the better the blood flow in these areas, the more likely an embryo is to implant.
- Acupuncture helps to keep the normal flow of this energy unblocked, thereby increasing a couple’s chances of conceiving
Difficulty when trying to conceive can be very stressful on your body emotionally and physically. Increased stress levels have a huge impact on your body’s ability to function and heal properly. Acupuncture can reduces overall stress in your body and stress on the endocrine system.
Problems stress can cause:
- In women, the balance between your brain and reproductive glands is very delicate so stress is capable of preventing a woman from ovulating entirely
- In women, stress can also create spasms in both the fallopian tubes and the uterus, which can interfere with movement and implantation of a fertilized egg.
- In women, Lowering all over stress levels can increase your chances of conceiving because stress hormones can lower fertility hormones like progesterone
- In men, stress can alter sperm counts, motility, and cause impotence
Acupuncture can help reduce stress, promote healing, increase your chances of conception and help support you through your journey of becoming parents.